PRISM logo

Polar Radar for Ice Sheet Measurements

Curved ice line
Jagged line

Home>Virtual PRISM>Daily Journal

Jagged line
  Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The first two flights in more than a week and a half arrived today to bring in people, fuel, and supplies, and to take out people, trash, a snowmobile, and the RAMAS laboratory box. The camp was busy early getting ready for the flights, getting the outgoing pallets lined up next to the LC-130 parking area, and with people packing up their personal belongings and getting them piled onto the luggage pallet. Yesterday, John decided that it would be best if he went back to Kangerlussuaq on the first flight and waited for the team there. To keep him company, Guna went with him. This was our last chance for a group picture at Summit with the entire PRISM team, so we assembled under the Summit Camp sign and grabbed one of the camp staff to take our picture. Afterwards, John and Guna sorted out some things in the WeatherPort and then it was time for them to leave. The first plane arrived around 10:30 a.m., but circled for about half an hour because of ground fog that reduced visibility to less than one mile. Visibility gradually improved and the plane landed around 10:30 a.m. John and Guna climbed aboard the plane at about 11:00 a.m. and were back in Kangerlussuaq in the early afternoon. John and Guna will spend their time in Kanger processing some of the data on their laptop computers.

Our remaining team (five of us) began packing inside and outside the WeatherPort. We were so busy packing, we hardly noticed the two flights into and out of Summit today. Though we had some ice fog, and it felt a little chillier today, the working conditions were prime. By lunch we were making great progress. For lunch, we ate sloppy joes, french fries, salad, and fresh fruit that had just arrived on the first flight. The food that arrived occupied an entire pallet, and eight of the camp staff lined up and passed boxes into the Big House quickly to get them out of the freezing temperatures.

Throughout the afternoon we continued to pack most of our equipment into the Hardigg boxes. We did not pack our data servers � Torry will give the servers a final checkout and he will pack these into a Hardigg box tomorrow morning. We loaded the packed boxes onto an Air Force pallet that had been dropped off next to our WeatherPort. This was strenuous work, as some of the boxes weighed over 400 lbs. and some of these we had to lift to stack on top of other boxes. We were done for the day around 4:30 p.m., which was a first. Up until now, we had worked late into the night. During the hour and a half before dinner, we relaxed in the Big House.

The flights today brought in some new faces, and so at dinner there were introductions and intermingling, something none of us have experienced in two weeks. Dinner was great; we were served fish, beef stew, rice, upside-down pineapple cake, and fresh fruit. Many of us were very happy to see grapes, bananas, and strawberries arrive with this flight�s grocery items. We were down to apples for fresh fruit and so the new delivery really brightened our smiles. Tomorrow we will finish palletizing our gear, pack our personal gear, and help people take down their tents as they leave camp.

NOTE: This was entire journal entry, not just page 1.

PRISM © 2002, 2003 is brought to you by
NSF logo
National Science Foundation University of Kansas
NASA logo
KTEC logo
Kansas Technology Enterprise Corporation
University of Kansas logo
University of Kansas